(Accredited by the Commission for Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education)
Physical Therapy is a health profession whose primary purpose is the promotion of optimal physical function. Therapists apply scientific principles to prevent and treat acute and chronic movement disorders. Physical Therapy encompasses areas of specialization and includes the development of new approaches to more effectively meet existing and emerging health care needs. Other professional activities include research, education, and administration.
A Bachelor's degree is required prior to admission. The Required Course List is attached. Note that a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on four point scale, and a minimum GPA of 3.0 in prerequisite courses is required.
The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required, and while there is no minimum score required, the score will be considered in the competitive admissions process. International students must take the TOEFL examination. In addition, 50 clock hours of volunteer or paid experience in a physical therapy setting is required, and must be supervised by a licensed physical therapist.
For more information please contact Beverly Scarborough:
UTEP PHYSICAL THERAPY
College of Health Sciences
500 W University
El Paso, Texas 79968
1101 N Campbell, Rm 309
El Paso, Texas 79902
With few exceptions, you are entitled on your request to be informed about the information the University of Texas at El Paso collects about you. Under the Texas Government Code, you are entitled to receive and review the information. Also under the Texas Government Code, you are entitled to have the University of Texas at El Paso correct information about you that is held by us and that is incorrect. The information that the University of Texas at El Paso collects will be retained and maintained as required by Texas records retention laws and rules. Different types of information are kept for different periods of time.
*A felony conviction may affect eligibility for Physical Therapy licensure in the State of Texas (or other states). Questions concerning Texas licensure may be answered by contacting the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners, 333 Guadalupe Ste 2-510 Austin, TX 78701.Minimum Admission Requirements
- Completion of 49 hours of required prerequisite courses
- Completion of Bachelor degree
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (on a four point scale)
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a four point scale) in prerequisite courses
- 50 clock hours of documented volunteer or paid work experience in a physical therapy setting under the supervision of a licensed Physical Therapist
- One recommendation from a Physical Therapist who supervised your work or volunteer experience (Please use the Confidential Recommendation Form).
- Two recommendations from individuals concerning the attributes that qualify you for this program (Please use the Confidential Recommendation Form) .
- Graduate School Application (with fee and Statement of Purpose)(apply online at www.utep.edu click on Graduate Studies, then application)
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges attended (Electronic Transcripts are NOT accepted)
- Official interview (by invitation)
- Completion of TOEFEL (Required of International Students, minimum score: 550)
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) Official Scores
Completion of the above requirements makes a student eligible for selection, but does not guarantee admission to the Physical Therapy Program. Each qualified and competitive applicant will be scheduled for an interview. The final selection is competitive. Applications for exceptions, course waivers or substitutions to the requirements above must be submitted in writing to the Admissions Committee, Physical Therapy Program, 500 W University , El Paso, TX 79968. These requests MUST be received by mail December 1stprior to the final application deadline.
Deadline for early application is NOVEMBER 15; students who have completed their degree and prerequisites, or will do so in December have the option to submit their applications by this deadline. These applicants may be eligible for early interviews, and so eligible students are encouraged to meet this deadline.
Deadline for regular application is JANUARY 10; students who will complete their degree and prerequisites by May should submit their applications by this deadline.